Monday, January 20, 2014

A Dress for All Seasons

I'm a minimalist at heart - or at least I want to be. I certainly don't always achieve it in dress. I often look back on my outfit posts and say "No! No! Too fussy! What was I thinking?" The philosophy behind my pursuit of minimalism is that the clothes should compliment the wearer, not the wearer the clothes. I think this is harder to achieve than it sounds. For one, I sometimes find it difficult to find basics - solid dresses in the right silhouette - and other simple clothes. Of course, I'm very picky, and have rules for myself - taking into consideration who made the clothes, who's selling them, and the potential quality.

Personal style does not mean you need a lot of clothes, though. Personal style is that magical blend of personality, appearance, and clothing, working together to create a unique look that says something about you. I still feel like I'm trying to find it, but I've come to realize it's not something you can discover in one go, like an Easter egg in the grass - it's a long creation, a process.
A dress for all seasons
This green shift dress is from Curator, my favorite US-made "slow fashion" source. (This is not a sponsored post - just looks like one)! Like this dress, I can see myself wearing all year round.

By the way, I'm guest-posting on Kristina's blog, Eccentric Owl, today. Be sure to give it a visit!

11 comments:

  1. Really lovely dress. Great idea to show all the different ways you would style it!

    Kaylee
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this dress and it is so versatile. I need to check out some of their blouses, because I really like their modern aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about your thoughts on personal style. Always gets me thinking.

    Also- seeing this remix is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great idea to show all the different ways you can wear one thing. Very thrifty. I also like your guest post, I agree with needing to dig amongst the rubble to find a jewel to take home. I'm constantly burrowing for items in charity shops or swaps that way

    http://gingerchestnut.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this dress! Adore clothes that you can wear many wears, more for your pennies. ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it with that black floral the best!
    Marie @
    In Our Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like when you chose something to wear in a multitude of ways. It's nice to see that flexibility and also to get ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great dress for remixing and a solid piece in your wardrobe- I really love the ways you took it through the seasons. I've never been very good at minimalist dressing and keeping my wardrobe down. These are some really good points on personal style!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how the dress goes with the black, floral shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is true, the clothes should compliment the wearer. To me my clothes are my skin for the day and I want them to reflect that. But it's not as simple as it sounds, definitely not. Personal style is an ever changing adventure and I'm just starting to get to grips with it. Albeit maybe a little late in life but hey. In my head I think personal style is something you should feel, do the clothes you want to wear feel like you. If not then they are not my style. But, that's just my thoughts.

    I actually prefer the dress in the more layered outfits, especially the final three. It just gives off a great wintery feeling to me.

    ~ K

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.